Director of Finance
Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission-driven and passionate about our environment and our community.
Miami Waterkeeper is seeking a detail-oriented and process-driven Finance Director who is passionate about our mission and desires to support our clean water goals. The Finance Director should be an expert in database management, financial controls, and best practices. Ideally, a candidate would have successfully completed a non-profit organizational audit and be experienced with Quickbooks Online. Candidates with government grant management experience are preferred. This position will be a key team member to lead our organization’s operations, including financial, compliance, recordkeeping, and grant management. We are looking for an individual who can take initiative, has a sense of urgency, a high attention to detail, and a deep commitment to their work to join our dynamic team.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial Management and Reporting
- Oversee budget allocation, ensuring accurate distribution of all expenses to the appropriate program and grants based on established cost allocation methodologies
- Ensure preparation of bank account reconciliations and general ledger account analyses and reconciliations
- Lead the preparation of accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reports
- Provide data for internal development reviews and budget projects
- Perform year-end accounting system close, including the production of 1099 forms
- Assist in annual insurance and charitable registration renewals
- Assist in annual audit and Form 990 submission
- Support the annual budget preparation process and ongoing monitoring to track performance measures
- Respond to ad hoc analytics requests
- Develop and maintain effective tools for managing grants, supporting grant budget preparation, tracking, and reporting
- Ensure accurate tracking of grant expenditures within the accounting system
- Provide financial information for grant reporting, ensure compliance with grant financial and programmatic reporting requirements
- Monitor grant expenditures to ensure accuracy and timeliness within award periods.
- Manage employee benefits, including enrolling new hires and discontinuing benefits for separated employees.
- Manage payroll filings and benefit contributions
- Reconcile quarterly and annual tax filings, as well as fringe benefits to appropriate programs & grants
- Collaborate closely with all external partners, including third-party vendors and consultants
- Demonstrated experience in grant management and non-profit accounting
- Strong financial oversight and preparation skills
- Proficiency in Quickbooks Online
- Familiarity with compliance procedures
Medical, dental, and vision plan
Generous time off policies
Remote work flexibility
Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Miami, FL, but may consider remote work
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter on this form.
Miami Waterkeeper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our organization and in our community.