Clean Water: Keep Miami Sparkling
Through our clean water initiatives, MWK is working to ensure swimmable, drinkable, fishable water in for all.
Swimmable, drinkable, and fishable water is a right granted to all of us under the Clean Water Act, and water is particularly integral to Miami’s culture, economy, and ecology. However, our spectacular resources are continually threatened by pollution.
Through our clean water initiatives, Miami Waterkeeper works to protect the water you love by:
- Preventing pollution by training the public to document and report pollution through our 1000 Eyes on the Water program
- Preventing algae blooms by working to reduce fertilizer use, septic tanks leaks, and sewage spills
- Protecting against contamination from our aging nuclear power plant
- Regulating and enforcing stormwater runoff violations
- Fighting against proposed rules that would allow more toxic and cancer-causing chemicals in Florida's water
- Training the next generation of environmental leaders through our Junior Ambassador program
- Monitoring popular recreational beaches and waterways for fecal indicator bacteria
- Reporting the latest water quality data to the public on theswimguide.org
- Litigating against polluters who break environmental laws
- Working to stop failing septic tanks