Through our clean water initiatives, MWK is working to ensure swimmable, drinkable, fishable water in Biscayne Bay for all.
Water is an integral part of Miami’s culture, economy, and ecology. However, our spectacular resources are continually threatened by pollution. Swimmable, drinkable, and fishable water is a right granted to all of us under the Clean Water Act. Through our clean water initiatives, MWK works to ensure our rights by:
Our Current & Future Efforts
- Preventing pollution from land-based and offshore sources
- Locating, mitigating, and preventing the spread of algal blooms in our Bay. Algal blooms are a result of excess nutrient pollution and result in contaminated seafood, human illnesses, and the death of wildlife
- Protecting Miami-Dade County’s drinking water and aquifer from mining, salt water intrusion, disposal of wastewater, sea level rise, and Florida Power and Light’s Turkey Point plant contamination
- Regulating and enforcing stormwater runoff violations and citizen pollution concerns
- Fighting against a proposed rule that would allow more toxic and cancer-causing chemicals in Florida's water.