Miami Waterkeeper is excited to be hosting this year's International Coastal Clean Up at Matheson Hammock Park in honor of Benjamin Joannou, Jr. and his family.
Giant among men, Benjamin Joannou, Jr. grew from the teenage boy-king of Biscayne Bay with his Boston Whaler and waterskis, to a passionate marine conservationist for the rest of his life. His love for the water, expansive and primordial, made him an active volunteer and fundraiser, particularly in South Florida (not to mention a scuba, windsurfing, sailing, kayaking, and kite surfing athlete around the World). Ben's passion for conservation dovetailed with his profound professional impact on micromobility and alternative transportation in America, particularly cycling and nascent bike share and scooter share infrastructure, as CEO of a now fourth-generation global manufacturer and distributor. Environmental stewardship across land and marine ecosystems was at his core.
Ben’s enthusiasm and pure excitement for projects like the International Coastal Cleanup Day, hosted at one of his favorite sites, Matheson Hammock Park, by Miami Waterkeeper, is in the hearts of the next generation of volunteers in 2021, including his extended family, work-family, wife, and children. He would be proud to have participated in such an impactful, global cleanup effort, changing the oceans one coastline at a time.
Come join Miami Waterkeeper in the world's largest annual coastal cleanup event! This year, we will be managing Matheson Hammock Park. We will provide garbage bags, data collection cards, and souvenir tote bags. Site is limited to 100 people so please RSVP below.
Important Volunteer Information:
- Parking Information: The parking and entrance fee is waived for volunteers. Once past the guard gate take a RIGHT at the fork on the road, follow the signs for parking.
- Check-in will be located at the parking area at the tent.
- This event is suitable for all ages; younger children will need to be accompanied by an adult. **If you are under 18 and coming without a parent or guardian, you must have a parent/guardian sign the waiver HERE in advance.
- COVID SAFETY - Please wear face masks for check-in and when you cannot be 6 feet away from non-family members
- Dress for the weather and wear appropriate footwear. No flip-flops or sandals! Clean-up areas are a mix of mangrove and beach, you should wear closed-toes shoes like sneakers.
- Sunglasses, hats, and sunscreen are recommended
- If you have gloves, bring them. We will be providing gloves but cannot guarantee they will be in your size. We suggest reusable working, gardening, or dish gloves that you can pick up at the grocery/hardware store.
- Bring water in a reusable container. Let’s reduce waste and refuse single-use disposable plastic water bottles.