Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission-driven and passionate about our environment and our community.
We are seeking a strategic thinker with policy experience in the environmental field. An ideal candidate for this role will have a deep passion for our mission and will be eager to work on multiple high-impact campaigns simultaneously. This person will be driven, collaborative, and possess excellent communication skills. This person should be comfortable with working across Miami Waterkeeper team areas (science, outreach, marketing) and with external partners on a diverse set of campaign initiatives related to clean water, habitat protection, and sea level rise resiliency, helping to organize community and galvanize action. Project management proficiency and the ability to meet absolute deadlines while managing multiple priorities are essential. This role entails deep research and strategy development, as well as the ability to pivot quickly to respond to changing conditions. The ideal candidate will inherently value fairness and can appreciate multiple viewpoints on complex environmental issues.
- Develop policy strategy for City, County, State, and Federal environmental rule-making focused on clean water, habitat protection, sea level rise
- Drafts and manages submission of letters, reports, and technical comment letters within agency
- Engage in direct advocacy with government agencies. Attend meetings and conferences as needed.
- Prepare talking points, briefs, action alerts, blogs, and external messaging for MWK team campaigns and programs as necessary. Drafts standardized memorandums for team’s internal use, including campaign plans and after-action reports.
- Serves as a technical and policy expert, advocate, and on occasion, spokesperson.
- Coordinates with Waterkeepers Florida on statewide issues.
- Support Senior Environmental Attorney with litigation.
- Coordinates external messaging with MWK’s Marketing Team.
- General knowledge of national, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to, environmental protection, clean water, and land development
- General knowledge of environment, water, climate resiliency issues and associated regulatory frameworks
- General knowledge of climate resilience issues and intersection with environmental justice
- Exceptional strategic abilities
- Excellent communication skills
- Master's degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Five years+ policy, strategy, public policy, and/or legislative experience; working within or directly with regulatory agencies is a plus.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Policy, Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, or related field preferred but not required
- Experience in querying federal, state, and local databases for regulatory records preferred
- Experience in campaign outreach strategic development
- Fast-paced, dynamic
- Hybrid work schedule, with 3 days required in-office
- Collegial and supportive environment
Location: Downtown Coral Gables, FL
- Medical, dental, and vision plan
- Retirement Account (with limited 401K matching)
- Generous time off policies
- Remote work flexibility (2 days/week)
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
Salary: $70,000 - 85,000
Job Type: Full-time
Reports to: Policy Director
Contact: Please fill out the form at this link to apply. Note: You will be asked to share your resume and a cover letter stating why you would like to work for Miami Waterkeeper.
Miami Waterkeeper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our organization and in our community.