Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission driven and passionate about our clean water future.
Miami Waterkeeper is seeking an individual with legal and policy experience in the environmental field. An ideal candidate for this role will have a deep passion for our mission and will be highly-skilled, detail-oriented, independent, exceptionally organized, and self-motivated. This person will be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously and to work both independently and collaboratively. Our Policy Specialist will feel comfortable making policy and legal recommendations to the Executive Director and Waterkeeper and working with outside counsel. This individual will have a solid understanding of the Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act and related regulations. This role will also work closely with our team to develop mission-specific advocacy campaigns.
- Develops policy strategy for City, County, State, and Federal environmental issues focused on clean water, habitat protection, sea level rise
- Conducts legal research, drafting, and filing; serves as legal counsel to the organization (if attorney)
- Drafts advocacy and policy comment letters on legislation and rulemaking
- Prepares messaging for litigation/policy for outreach and media
- Prepares talking points and messaging for campaigns and programs
- Researches and creates technical analyses and documents in support of current and potential policy
- Designs, drafts, and manages submissions of letters, reports, and supporting materials
- Works closely with outreach and science teams to coordinate mission-oriented campaigns
- Serves as a senior technical and policy expert, advocate, and spokesperson
- Coordinates with science and outreach teams on new campaigns and programs
- Coordinates with outside counsel on litigation matters
- Supervises legal interns
- Coordinates with Waterkeepers Florida on statewide issues
- Oversees legal compliance for the organization, including liability and contract reviews and other general counsel-type roles (if attorney)
- Up to 5 years of experience
- Law school graduate admitted to, or qualified and willing to apply for admission to, the Florida Bar
- A law degree is preferred, but strong policy, public interest lobbying, or campaign experience may substitute
- Experience working on policy issues across government levels is desired
- Excellent research, analytical, writing, and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Strong desire to advocate for public interest environmental campaigns
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented setting
- Medical, dental, paid family leave, and vision plan
- Retirement Account
- Generous time off policies
- Remote work flexibility
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Miami, FL
Reports to: Executive Director & Waterkeeper
Contact: Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Environmental Policy Specialist” written in the subject line.
Miami Waterkeeper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our organization and in our community.