Part-Time Field Technician (Water Quality Sample Collection)
Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission-driven and passionate about our environment and our community.
Miami Waterkeeper is seeking a dynamic graduate or undergraduate student who is passionate about our mission and desires to support our clean water goals. The Part-Time Field Technician will coordinate with the Water Quality Research Manager to ensure that water quality samples in Miami-Dade and Broward County are collected, processed, and analyzed weekly according to the laboratory schedule and protocols. The Part-Time Field Technician works with our field technicians and interns to collect samples in the field, process, and analyze samples in the laboratory. The Part-Time Field Technician also assists the Water Quality Research Manager to ensure that the schedule for sample collection at all sites is accurate and up to date; that laboratory equipment is maintained and that laboratory and field sampling supplies are reordered as necessary.
- Collects samples, both routine and opportunistic, at specific sites across Miami Dade County and Broward County as part of weekly water monitoring (Monday morning for Miami-Dade, Tuesday for Broward County, as well as possible resampling later in the week);transports samples to lab
- Supports ongoing field research, including Gables Waterway and EPA grant projects, along with water quality monitoring contracts
- Uses YSI EXO1 multiparameter sonde and records data on field sheet
- Collects data using apps in the field, records data on the field sheet, takes site pictures, adds site pictures to database
- Processes and analyzes samples in the laboratory
- Coordinates with Water Quality Research Manager, field technicians, and interns to ensure sample collection, processing, analysis are performed according to schedule
- Driver’s license required
- Must have a vehicle in order to access water quality sampling sites
- Works 5-10 hours/week
- Completes water quality training program Abides by water quality program procedures and processes
- Abides by sample and laboratory schedules (sample must be processed within 6 hours after collection) to ensure timely completion of sampling; analysis must occur after 24 hours of incubation
- Can be undergraduate or graduate student, preferably with an interest in water quality monitoring and research
- Regularly checks on equipment/supply inventory and Notifies Water Quality Research Manager of equipment/supply needs in a timely fashion
Desired Qualifications (not required)
- Prior field sampling, laboratory experience, and experience with multiparameter sondes
- Florida Boater Safety License and/or Captain's license
- Motorboat Operators Certification (MOCC)
Job Type: Part-time
Location: Miami-Dade County and Broward County
Reports to: Water Quality Research Manager
Contact: Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Part-Time Field Technician” written in the subject line. The application deadline is May 31st.
Miami Waterkeeper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our organization and in our community.