Miami Waterkeeper (MWK) is an award-winning non-profit organization dedicated to protecting Biscayne Bay and the surrounding watershed. Launched in 2010, MWK has become a leading advocate for clean water, inspiring a movement of empowered citizens dedicated to achieving swimmable, drinkable, fishable water. Addressing issues on multiple fronts, we use community outreach, scientific research, and civic and legal action to advance our mission. Miami Waterkeeper is a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. We are a small and hard-working team that is mission-driven and passionate about our environment and our community.
Miami Waterkeeper hosts regular weekend volunteer engagement events at local parks and beaches. Our team is seeking a part-time Education and Outreach Assistant who is detail-oriented, outgoing, and reliable and who is passionate about our mission, enjoys field work in challenging conditions, and desires to support our clean water goals. The Education and Outreach Assistant should be skilled in public speaking and environmental education, passionate about conserving Miami’s coastal marine environment, familiar with south Florida’s flora and fauna, and comfortable working in coastal ecosystems of south Florida. Ideally, a candidate would have or be working toward a bachelor's degree in the marine science/environmental education field with at least 2 years of experience educating students in an outdoor setting. This is a part-time position that will be assisting the Education and Outreach team with outdoor education and volunteer events on weekends and/or evenings, including beach cleanups, boat trips, and restoration projects. We are looking for an individual who is comfortable and confident in educating community members about our local marine ecosystems, getting their hands dirty on projects, and is well-versed in the challenges facing Miami’s waterways.
ESSENTIAL ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in executing weekend education and outreach programming and events to engage the community members and provide meaningful volunteer and educational opportunities to advance the MWK mission.
- Assist with restoration events, clean up events, and/or boat trips
- Help to coordinate, set up, implement, and clean up after educational trainings and volunteer events.
- Assist in directing and coordinating the work of volunteers during habitat restoration events.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public, coworkers, and partner organizations and serve as a representative of Miami Waterkeeper in the publicCapture photos/videos at outreach and education activities and create content about education and outreach activities and events.
- Serve as secondary contact for students, volunteers, and program partners.
- Maintain education and outreach materials and ensure proper care of scientific equipment.
- Assist with metrics tracking and reporting from events.
- Collect contact information and release forms from participants as needed.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- May require time on the water via boat, kayak, or snorkeling.
- Relaxed work atmosphere and dress code
- Networking and professional development opportunities
- Opportunity to conduct research/thesis project for undergraduate/graduate school (if applicable)
Job Type: Part-time/~10 hours per week, mostly weekend but also some coordination time during the week
Location: Miami, FL
Reports to: Program Manager
Contact: Please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected] with “Education & Outreach Assistant” written in the subject line.
Miami Waterkeeper is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly value diversity, equity, and inclusion both in our organization and in our community.