Connecting our communities to the wonders of Biscayne Bay and surrounding waterways in Miami-Dade and Broward is one of our top priorities, and we are proud to host a variety of community outreach activities around the watershed. The best way to make sure our water is swimmable, drinkable and fishable is to make sure that our connection with our water AND our water-loving community is strong! These events help us do just that.
Here are just a few examples of past events:
- Bay Day - This year will mark our third annual Bay Day at Shake-a_Leg's waterfront marina in Coconut Grove. Fun for the whole family, this day includes boat rides, yoga, fishing clinics, sailing, tours of Shake-a-Leg's eco-island, kayaking, games, arts and crafts, and more! Part of the Waterkeeper Alliance Splash Event Series, this event will celebrate the importance of our local waterways and is made possible by national sponsors KEEN and Toyota.
- Sustainable Dinner at the Standard - A four-course, wine paired dinner bay-side at The Standard hotel, comprised of local and sustainable fare.
- Boat Tours - A three-hour boat tour of Biscayne Bay focused on water quality issues, with presentations from local experts from Miami Waterkeeper, NOAA, Sea Grant, University of Miami, and local governments.
- Restaurant Takeovers/Happy Hours - We have partnered with many amazing local restaurants and bars in the area, with a percentage of proceeds going to our organization! These events can be for the general public, but members-only nights are also offered throughout the year!
- Beach cleanups and habitat restoration - From large organizations, local groups, schools and even the City of Miami, we have hosted many volunteer events for those who want to help clean our beaches, restore local habitats such as dunes, and even remove invasive species!