Welcome to the Miami Waterkeeper Party with a Purpose House Party Planning Guide — an easy and effective way to help us raise money and awareness, recruit, and grow our membership. If you are concerned about the health of our waterways and want to support our advocacy and education programs, please consider hosting a party to benefit Miami Waterkeeper.
The Miami Waterkeeper Party with a Purpose House Party is a great way to:
- Have fun while supporting a great cause
- Share your passion for the water with your friends, neighbors, and colleagues
- Spread the word about Miami Waterkeeper and offer your guests an opportunity to join you in supporting our important advocacy work for Miami’s waterways
- Raise funds and recruit members that will enable Miami Waterkeeper to continue its effective advocacy, education, and community outreach programs
Contact the Miami Waterkeeper office to discuss your party plan and the guests you might invite. We can help you determine the format and type of event you would like to host and the materials and support that you would like Miami Waterkeeper to provide.
Select a date and time. We suggest that you select a date at least three weeks out from the time you decide to give the party. Also, try to consider the day of the week and the time that will give you the best turnout.
Make your guest list. Make a list of family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, and members of your faith-based, civic, or professional groups. We suggest about thirty people, but this is your party, so you decide how many to invite!
Prepare and send the invitations. You may want to consider sending by e-mail to cut down on the expense and to save paper for the environment.
- I’ll be there to learn about MIAMI WATERKEEPER.
- Sorry, I can’t come but I plan to join MIAMI WATERKEEPER.
- Sorry, I can’t come but I’d like to know more about MIAMI WATERKEEPER.
Party Time! The Miami Waterkeeper staff or volunteer will arrive 30 minutes to an hour before the start of the party to set up any AV equipment that may be necessary, display literature for the guests, and help with any last minute preparations.
- Welcome: Welcome your guests and introduce the Waterkeeper representative. We recommend beginning the program 30–45 minutes after the start of your event. Please, share with your guests why you support Miami Waterkeeper.
- Program: We will provide an informative presentation about Miami Waterkeeper, lasting approximately 15–20 minutes, that will include a request for your guests to become members. The program can consist of a formal presentation or a brief, informal introduction to the organization by you or a Waterkeeper representative.
Suggested Time Line:
- 6 weeks before the event: Contact Miami Waterkeeper staff and set the party date, discuss logistics and outline any expectations. Create your invitation list.
- 4 weeks before: Mail or e-mail the invitations. Miami Waterkeeper can provide you with membership envelopes or brochures, if you plan to mail invitations and would like to include this information.
- 1–2 weeks before: Contact everyone who has not rsvp’d and your Waterkeeper contact to confirm details and finalize any issues or plans that are unresolved.
- Week after the party: We will contact you to let you know who joined Miami Waterkeeper. We will send an acknowledgement letter to everyone who contributed.
- Food and refreshments: Will you provide simple snacks, hotdogs and burgers, or more elaborate food and beverages? A wide range of options can work for your party!
- Door Prizes or Membership Gifts: Are you interested in providing door prizes or a gift for those who join Miami Waterkeeper at a certain level? Our staff could help with ideas.
- Parking: Do you have enough parking to accommodate your guests?
- Name Tags: Do you want to provide name tags for your guests?
Tips for Success:
- Get your invitations out 3–4 weeks before the party.
- Voice your own support for the organization and encourage your guests to join at the party. Your support of Miami Waterkeeper doesn’t just mean a lot to us; it is an important endorsement to your friends, family, and colleagues.
- Collect contributions from those interested in membership at the party. This can be done discretely by simply providing a basket or location where your guests can place their donation envelopes before they leave. We also have online or swipe capability.